I really love Essential Oils and often use them in my home for sickness to cleaning and even for cooking. These are two of my favorites and most used.
Tea Tree Oil or Melaleuca– I grew up with this oil. We used it all the time. I remember how awful it smelled and tasted but now I love it. Whenever someone is sick I rub it on the bottoms of their feet. I also use it for acne and cold sores. I add it to my son´s shampoo to prevent head lice. Even when there was an outbreak in his class he was lice free!
This list is from this article
20 Great Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil
1. Use a dab to treat acne.
2. An anti-fungal for treating Athlete’s Foot, eczema, various yeast infections, etc.
3. An antiseptic to be used on cuts and burns.
4. An anti-viral: it may lessen the symptoms of colds and flu. Try using a few drops in the bath.
5. Add to a vaporizer to loosen chest congestion.
6. Add a small amount to shampoo to destroy head lice.
7. A small amount added to your bath can help with persistent body odor.
8. Treating sinus infection.
9. For dandruff and dry scalp.
10. In the form of aromatherapy, tea tree oil is used to treat colds, persistent coughs, acne, toothaches, and sunburn.
11. To create an all-purpose cleaner, combine 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil in 2 cups of water in a spray bottle.
12. Another version would be 14 ounces of water with 1 ounce of Murphy’s oil soap and 10 drops of tea tree oil.
13. Mix the above solution with kosher salt to scrub bathtub and bathroom tiles.
14. Add a few drops to dishwasher dispenser, then fill with a green dishwashing soap.
15. A few drops added to each load of laundry leave your clothes smelling cleaner.
16. Control mold with a tea tree oil/water spray.
17. Remove mustiness with that same tea tree oil/water spray.
18. To keep germs at bay, spray it on high chairs, car seats, and other high traffic spots.
19. 15 drops in a quart of water can be an effective insect repellent.
20. Be sure to take some with you when hiking and camping to put directly on insect bites or blisters.
Lavender– I use this oil every night on the kids. As part of our night-time routine I rub lavender oil and any other oil they might need on their feet and give them a massage while we talk about the day. My 7-year-old son really enjoys it and often reminds me if we are getting into bed without using the oils. I also use this on my husband when he is stressed or anxious.
Take a look at this article for more information
I heard about the Paleo diet a few months ago and started following it. (When I say diet I am referring to this definition: In nutrition, diet is the sum of food consumed by a person or other organism.) I feel like this has been the easiest way I have ever lost weight. I never would have said that I felt bloated but after cutting milk and breads out of my diet I realized that I felt so much better. I walk a lot in my daily routine and try to get 3 good morning walks in every week. Exercise is of course necessary for any weight-loss just as good eating habits are. I like how this info-graphic explains the Paleo way of eating – So I´ll let it do the talking.
This was a post that I did for our Natural Homeopathic Health blog and it has really stuck with me. Take a look at it here . I am trying to avoid processed, prepackaged foods. More vegetables and fruits. Less sugar. I try to keep this chart in mind when I am making food choices.
I try hard to make sure that the foods we eat every single day are alkaline such as onions, olive oil, garlic, green tea, stevia, lemons and apples. After understanding this concept and how acid causing foods are so bad for your body, I decided to give up artificial sweeteners. I really loved saccharine or other artificial sweeteners because I thought it was a great way to have a sweetener but not the sugar to help to loose weight. Here is an article about Aspartame- Aspartame is linked to leukemia and lymphoma in new landmark study on humans. Now I use honey or stevia in teas, yogurt, and coffee. I make a point of buying plain natural yogurt. This way I know we are avoiding white sugar or artificial sweeteners.
Of the more acid causing foods, I have made a point of cutting out soft drinks, milk, and white flour as much as possible.
We have just celebrated Eid and had an entire lamb that we shared between three families. I decided to utilize the bones from the meat that we had cooked that day. We steamed the ribs and cooked the leg of lamb in the oven. I put all the bones in a huge pot with coarsely chopped onion and garlic. I brought it to a boil and let it simmer for 2 days. I turned it off at night and started again in the morning. I scooped out the bones and poured the broth through a metal mesh strainer. After letting it cool I scooped off the hardened layer of fat on top and saved that to use for cooking vegetables or eggs. I saved a bottle of the broth and reduced the rest down. The broth gelled and the reduced broth was really thick- to be used as bouillon. It tastes fantastic! Totally worth the time and much tastier than bouillon cubes.
Here is a great post about the health benefits of the broth.
“… many benefits of bone broth and how it can improve digestion, allergies, immune health, brain health and much more.
What isn’t as well know is that broth can help reduce cellulite by improving connective tissue, increase hair growth/strength, improve digestive issues and remineralize teeth.
Broth is also helpful to have on hand when anyone in the family gets sick as it can be a soothing and immune boosting drink during illness, even if the person doesn’t feel like eating.”
Read the rest of this post here at Wellness Mama. She has a great tutorial and a lot more information.
Every morning I like to drink hot water with lemon, ginger, and honey. Initially I started doing this when I read that hot water and lemon is good for weight loss. Normally I wouldn’t eat or drink anything until I got back from taking my son to school and a morning walk which is around 10am. I’ve found that this gives me energy first thing in the morning and is warming. I physically feel better by having something in my tummy and emotionally it is calming. I try to take a moment while I drink this to feel gratitude.
Get Well with Jo- Why I Drink Lemon Water For Weightloss
Marcus Samuelsson- Health Benefits of Lemon Water
Mind Body Green- Why You Should Drink Warm Water and Lemon
Here´s a link to a website dedicated to Honey Honey is nature’s energy booster, builds our immune system and is a natural remedy for many ailments.
I have been finding new recipes that are healthier versions of classic favorites
The Detoxinista- Chocolate Bark – This is perfect for chocolate cravings. Simple healthy ingredients.
Coconut truffles– These are like little almond joys. Love.
I have tried to cut out regular milk and found a few yummy alternatives